Wednesday, August 3, 2011

“I’m a big, brave dog"

Did you ever see the Rug Rats episode where Chuckie tries to overcome his fear of going down the playground slide by repeating to himself “I’m a big, brave dog”?  Well, I took a page from his book when I had to use the latrine at Christine’s home in Tonala’ – after I found out that cockroaches reside inside the latrine!  Christine’s technique is to bring the lantern with her and hold it inside the door ahead of her – and then, get this, lower the lantern into the bowl to make sure the cockroaches go down inside the latrine.  NOT for the faint of heart, which means me!  Of all the things I had on my list to worry about before coming to Tonala’ – the four hour bus ride in the heat with my tendency towards carsickness, the extreme heat (did I tell you that the Chinendega district is the HOTTEST place in the country?), the mosquitoes (it is the rainy season after all), where I would get my morning coffee, and having to use the outdoor latrine - I never knew I would have to worry about dealing with cockroaches in order to use the latrine.  Actually, I am thankful I had not been forewarned.  Christine was very patient and understanding of my fear.  Apparently, I am not the only visitor who had an issue with this (and you know who you are!). I eventually was able to manage it.  After all, one cannot go for three days without ever using the facilities.  But I will let you in on a little secret – Christine always went in there first whenever it was dark enough for las cucarachas to be out and about!

No comments:

Post a Comment