Saturday, July 23, 2011

For the bad weather, a cheerful face.

Or, as I like to say “Rain, rain, go away.”
This Nicaraguan proverb translated into Spanish is ‘Para el mal tiempo, una cara alegre’. I am pretty sure the Nicaraguans use it often. Yesterday, three of us had plans to go to Chocoyero, a nature preserve, which is supposed to be spectacular and has these beautiful green parakeets that nest in a waterfall inside the preserve. We could only travel in the camioneta, a truck which sits three inside and maybe ten in the uncovered back. It began to rain a bit as we were getting ready to go. I sat in front with Brigitte and our driver, Luis. Victoria sat in back. The downpour began minutes into our ride, as Luis pulled over to run into his home to talk to his son. It was the heaviest rain I have seen here yet. My window only partially rolled up and we were getting wet, but not as wet as Victoria in the back. I can’t believe we still debated going in the downpour. We had a 40 minute drive ahead of us, and then, of course, we would be outside in the preserve. I really am bright enough to know to come in out of the rain, so we turned around and headed back to Mariposa. The trip was off.

 Today, it is a beautiful day. Sunny, cool breezes and we are going to Volcan Mombacho. Hopefully, rain won’t move in on our trip today, but if it does, para el mal tiempo, una cara alegre. I will try to say that with a straight face!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to Volcano surf-- I hear from my kids it is all the rage!!! Ojala que tanga un buen viaje!

    ReplyDelete