Saturday, July 30, 2011

Torneo de kickball

Kickball is probably the most exciting sport for girls to play in Nicaragua.  It is a very big deal here. The intern at Mariposa, Chrissy, organized a tournament between four schools for Thursday morning.  My conversation teacher, Berman, Jr., and I walked over to the local field to watch.  There was so much excitement and competition between the schools.  Some of the boys made noisemakers by putting stones into discarded soda bottles and shaking them.  The winner of the first game played the winner of the second game.  Everyone got some small prize for playing, and the schools each got a kickball or some other prize for participating, depending on which place they finished in.  I took some pictures, and once I started, everyone wanted their picture taken.  I would hear “Senora, una photo?”, and the kids would all run to be in the picture. They loved seeing their pictures in the viewing screen.  It was a great morning and so fun to see the excitement and enthusiasm.  I could not help but notice the cows grazing in the back of the field, but it didn’t seem to interfere with the game whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment